|The Ukuleles by Kawika website is a place for anyone who loves the ukulele. You’ll find:
- ukulele and color photos of the instruments we make;
- sound files of all sizes of our ukuleles;
- free listing of old ukulele song books;
- free lutherie calculation spreadsheets;
- methods for making useful wood properties measurements;
- the application of these measurements to lutherie;
- a discussion of instrument tunings and acoustics;
- free shoptips for ukulele and guitar construction;
- sources of supplies and useful links for buying used instruments;
- a beginning guide to Hawaiian ukulele identification with hundreds of useful measurements;
- guest artists playing our ukuleles and guitars;
- an analysis of the ukulele fretboard with chord charts for different keys;
- photos and a naturalist’s description of koa wood;
- tips and sources of information from guest luthiers
- and a chance for input from you the reader (via e-mail).
Because I like Shiba Inu’s, Birding and Fishing, I’ve also included pages regarding those subjects.
Please note that we have retired from active ukulele making and are no longer taking orders or doing repairs.
I have finished writing my book “Left-Brain Lutherie: Using Physics and Engineering Concepts for Building Guitar Family Instruments: An Introductory Guide to Their Practical Application”. Details can be found here.
To send us an e-mail, please send to: EMAIL
I hope that the site is informative and fun for you. That’s really what it’s all about.
Ukuleles by Kawika
Making tomorrow’s vintage instruments…today
Ho’olono ana i ke kani honehone a ka ukulele
(pause to listen to the sweet sound of the ukulele…)